Welcome to the website of Oregon Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (ORVOAD)
Approved Meeting minutes from the 5/23 meeting and the agenda for the 7/18/17 meeting are now on the "Meetings and Bylaws" tab
Special - We've added a FEMA video (3 min.) shot in Alaska featuring John Colvin and the work of the Mennonite Disaster Services. It is a great example of long term recovery work. Find it under the Resources tab above.
Update from Friday, 7/14/17
Hi Oregon VOAD Members and Partners;
I have been absent for the last couple weeks – my apologies for that. I wish I could say I was on vacation, but the fact of the matter is it’s been unbelievably busy this year with Mass Care and ORVOAD planning with no signs of a slowdown anytime soon.
- Welcome to Linn/Benton COAD, our newest COAD partner in the area and an important partner serving their communities. The COAD has been in the developing stages over the last year and they hosted two membership events in June to build up membership and announce the COAD. If you live in Linn or Benton counties, please plan to attend their formal meetings (look for meeting information in the weekly ORVOAD updates).
- I want to make a shout out to Zoya Kumar of Portland Tool Bank for her presentation to the Oregon Emergency Managers Association the other day at their members meeting. She had a great deal of information and folks were truly impressed by the resources of the tool bank.
- A huge thank you to Adam Creighton of InStove for his work on grants that provide ORVOAD and its members with mass care supplies. WE will talk about this work at our next meeting scheduled for Tuesday, July 18th (read the update for more information).
- Thank you to all who participated in the first Mt. West Annual Conference Planning Committee meeting. We got a lot done and we are well on our way to a wonderful conference this next April here in Portland. We are in the process of planning our next meeting, so if you want to get involved in the planning committee, please let me know and we’ll add you to the list.
- Oregon Office of Emergency Management is planning for a limited opening of their ECC for the Solar Eclipse in August. We will support Karen Layng for ESF 15 and other undetermined response needs. For this response we will use a newer response tool that we will discuss at our upcoming meeting. The resources of your organization/agency may be called upon so please be ready to support ORVOAD if called upon.
- I will be out of town during the Solar Eclipse at the National Mass Care Exercise in Salt Lake City, Utah, so our leadership team will step in to fill the void.
- Please read through the information on the EarthEx event on Wednesday, August 23rd as all of you can participate and learn from the exercise.
I look forward to your participation in the next ORVOAD members/partners meeting,
Oregon VOAD, President